Monday, November 16, 2009

Be honest: Is traditional jujitsu bullshido or not?

I know people who have trained in a few other traditional forms and they all eventually turned to MMA. So I%26#039;m considering MMA but it%26#039;s expensive. JJJ only a third of the price and apparently %26#039;is%26#039; MMA accordnig to the JJJ teacher. So how is JJJ compared with MMA?|||ju jitsu was used by the samurai on the field of battle for the best part of 1000 years, and with great succes





the approach of many modern schools can indeed raise plenty of questions. but traditionat ju jitsu is very effective|||I agree that traditional jujitsu is not bullshido and to be honest I think the bullshido guys are the ones who could not hack it in a true system. If all one cares about is fighting they will eventually be defeated and what%26#039;s worse...they may end up dead.





I have studied traditional martial arts non-stop since 1978 and would never change to MMA. I am not impressed nor intimidated by any MMA fighter I have ever met (and yes I have met many of them). They are sportsmen and the fight for money or glory. To me martial arts is not about that kind of weakness...and I would recommend that you just forget about MMA.|||Traditional Jujutsu, in general, is not bullshido. However, there are schools from every style (MMA included) that are craptacular.





JJJ is NOT MMA. MMA is a combat sport, not really a specific martial arts in itself. Perhaps that JJJ sensei doesn%26#039;t have a good grasp of what MMA is or perhaps he%26#039;s full of crap. Either way, if I were you, I%26#039;d take some trial classes at both places to see how I liked them.





Also, in the JJJ place, make sure that they do live training and realistic sparring. If not, you probably won%26#039;t like it, as it won%26#039;t teach you how to fight.





EDIT: Nwohioguy, Bullshido.net has done tons for the martial arts community. To call them hacks is silly. They had the balls to publicly call out so many of the phonies that previously went unchecked. Even better, they insist that people %26#039;put their money where their mouth is%26#039; with the throwdown sparring meetups. Forums like MAP are in desperate need of something like that.|||its funny when people say they%26#039;re not intimidated by mma fighters. i understand what they mean. but i still think the mma fighter would destroy them if the sh*t hit the fan.





japanese jujutsu was invented for fighting too...why do so many people forget that?





the funniest thing though is that 99% of the people who tell you they practice traditional japanese jujutsu have no idea what it is. it%26#039;s alot more than just teaching a standup version of jujutsu. how it is practiced and taught is one of the main defining characteristics of what makes it traditional.





look up koryu jujutsu sometime. or go to youtube and watch videos of daito ryu, hontai yoshin ryu jujutsu etc. and you%26#039;ll realize that your local %26quot;traditional jujutsu%26quot; school is a far cry from what is actually practiced in japan as traditional jujutsu. infact most will tell you...unless you can show and prove a tracable bloodline back to the founder of the system...it%26#039;s not legit koryu japanese jujutsu.





most %26quot;traditional%26quot; jujutsu schools arent traditional at all. they just AREN%26#039;T brazilian jujutsu so they say traditional to make that distinction.





in my humble opinion. no art is bullshido as long as it%26#039;s legit.





even gendai jujutsu (what most people call traditional) is not bullshido..infact it can be very effective. many of the techniques are the same, it is the history, culture and tradition that make them different. but the main difference to me remains the method in which they are taught.





for example...small circle jujutsu is NOT traditional jujutsu. it%26#039;s gendai jujutsu. but is very good.





people say it matters what %26quot;style%26quot; you study. to me this is complete nonsense. as an example..people say kyokushin is the most effective karate style...more effective than goju ryu, or shotokan for example. this is retarded to me.





you make the art effective. the art doesnt make you effective. in short...any art can be effective if you want it to be and train accordingly.|||i am trained in a martial called hapkido which has lot similar locks as jujitsu and the Korean Marine Core is undefeated in Hand to Hand combat and they integrated Hapkido into there system. However people saying JJJ is better than MMA is complete bullshit depends on who u learn from i would rather learn from a competent person that a incompetent person someone who know what the **** they are talking about and actually have fighting/self defense outside the dojo|||JJJ is not MMA. It is a real martial art, not a sport. JJJ is a very effective martial art that I would choose over MMA anytime.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100% i have practiced gendai jujutsu for 15 years and also practice gracie jiujitsu. There is much to learn from each. I also think the complement each other fairly well. I also like muay tai. I have no desire to compete. I want to defend myself and my family. More importantly i enjoy training. There are different philosophy in all but i believe are all effective for preparing for combat. I love grappling but i am not trying to roll around in a parking lot. But being prepared is defiantly the coarse of prudence. If i had to pick one i would stick with Japanese jujutsu. I know this post is 5 years old. I hope my opinion is helpful.

    ReplyDelete