Friday, November 18, 2011

Looking for opinions on Japanese Jujitsu compared to BJJ?

I study Japanese Jujitsu along with other arts. One of my instructors won Jujitsu Nationals 2 years in a row. Do most BJJ practitioners go for MMA competition or straight grappeling contests?|||JJJ was watered down by the Gracie family, and made into a %26quot;ground only%26quot; fighting style.





If you train in any JJJ style worth a darn, you will learn all that BJJ stuff IN ADDITION to the standing techniques.





If I had my choice, I%26#039;d want the one that teaches me both - how to fight standing AND on the ground.





Remember, JJJ is the parent art of Judo, Aikido and BJJ.|||I train in BJJ (mostly gi but some no gi). When I think of traditional BJJ competition I think of Gi competition. Just as Japanese Jiu Jitsu works/trains with a Gi (uniform) so does it sister BJJ. As they stem from the same root they should look and compete similarly. Although I feel Japanese practitioners seem to have a stronger grasp of Judo (read the history of Jiu Jitsu on Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracie_Jiu_... or throwing concepts. BJJ too has many throws and takedowns within it. After all Japanese practitioners shared this wonderful art with Carlos Gracie so many years ago that we may all enjoy what we know as BJJ today.





BJJ has had a long history within the Gracie family of taking on all arts, thus the rise of UFC as a platform for the Gracie system to showcase it%26#039;s dominance within an open fighting forum.





Today I see BJJ as one tenent of a larger structure that builds a well rounded fighter. Other areas of practice are Freestyle grappling for conditioning and take downs, Muy Thai, Judo for throws, Boxing for striking and kicks.





Overall I do not think the majority of BJJ competitors train in BJJ for No Gi competition. I have always been trained to understand your Gi practice will make your No Gi stronger and vice versa. So I enjoy both.





I think both styles of competition as exciting in their own way.





I train to compete in Gi tournaments and have also competed in No Gi but I do not feel my involvement in BJJ means I am focused on MMA training. I am training for sport and physical benefit. BJJ gives me a great base and focus for ground attacks and cardio conditioning.|||helio gracie selectively chose certain techniques of japanese jiu jitsu that involved ground fighting so he could use them for the popular sport in the 1930s in brasil called catch wrestling. many of the more brutal techniques used by the samurai were tossed away and grappling moves were modified to suit helio%26#039;s weak body. As far as the second question, at least at my academy, most fighters stick to grappling only. very few have the time or physical stamina to compete in mma.|||JJJ is weaker than BJJ I came from a string JJJ background and I was okay at BJJ but I have to say I learned more in 4 months there than I did 3 years at JJJ

No comments:

Post a Comment